Thursday, October 2, 2008

Project One Support

Hi Class:

My apologies for not being able to cover everything I wanted to in class today. The fire alarm cost us an essential 15 minutes.

I will be available for questions during the following times:

Friday, October 3: 5:00PM-6:00PM
Monday, October 6: 9:00PM-10:00PM

I will either be in room 556 (our classroom) or in the 6th floor computer lab. If you have questions, but can't make either of these times, please email me before Tuesday morning.

Below are some notes regarding the things we didn't quite get to today. Note the links.
  • John Snow's map of central London, showing the location of deaths from cholera in September 1854, is a historic example of how creative mapping practice can generate insight and precipitate change. I encourage you to watch this brief video that tells the story of this groundbreaking map.
  • Exercise Four: Corner Reading Summary remains due. I understand that this reading is difficult. Please try your best and post what you can. We will be going over this reading next week. The Mapping Operations portion of the reading is especially pertinent to Project One.
  • I have now established specific "Submission" labels for all deliverables, including Exercise Four. Please double check one last time that your blog posts are correctly labeled.
  • I realize that some of you have not dealt with the Service Bureau before. This Project is an excellent opportunity to learn what they can do for you. They're very friendly and helpful, just don't leave everything until the last minute.
Lastly, below are a selection of maps from my aborted Parkdale mapping presentation. Note that these are not necessarily all examples of excellence - but they do provide an excellent demonstration of the variety of forces at play on a site, and different strategies for representing these forces.

Good luck with your maps, and see you next week.










No comments: