Saturday, December 6, 2008

Project Three: Part Two - Nathan Albion



I chose Alexander Calder's Black Widow Stabile that is currently on permanent display at the museum of modern art in NYC. I decided that this piece would look great in Nathan Phillips Square. This decision resulted from the fact that many of Calder's other stabiles are also publicly displayed in squares and courtyards. My placement was decided upon the fact that the entire square is framed by an elevated walkway except the northwest corner. So I decided that would be a suitable place to make my intervention. This, in my mind, would compel pedestrians to mingle with the sculpture while entering the square from that point.


Alexander Calder, Black Widow 1965


Perspective looking North East

Perspective looking North West


Plan Drawing

North elevation

East Elevation

Section 1 (north)


Section 2 (East)

No comments: