Saturday, December 6, 2008

"Project Three : Nancy Huang"









TD Centre by Mies van der Rohe

Don’t be afraid! ...to Fuck Mies van der Rohe
By Nancy Huang


This gallery was designed to showcase the works of Louise Bourgeois. Louise Bourgeois works of art showed a lot of erotic subject matter but I didn’t design the gallery because of this. I designed it because of what she said: “An artist can show things that other people are terrified of expressing.” Bourgeois was not afraid of the human body. She was not afraid about speaking her mind. She was proud to be a woman. Her message was not about sex or about promiscuity; it was about not being afraid. It was about female expressiveness in a male dominated world.
In the design of the gallery, I placed this gallery on top of the TD center, a building designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. I chose this building because I found something very interesting about its design. Unlike the enclosed and almost secretive structures of other buildings, the design of the TD center is meant to expose the insides and make them viewable on the outside. Much like Bourgeois’ expressive spirit, this building announces what is held internally to the world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is Jason from Jarvis C I. I happened to bump into your project page (j/k, I was googling you and OCAD). so glad to see your projects and read your thoughts. Hope things are going well. It has been five years, and I'm graduating in two weeks. Packing and leaving. Found some old but sweet memories with you guys at Jarvis. So feel like giving you a shout. :)

Monir said...

Hey Nancy, this is Monir... Congratulation on your project..